Monday, December 15, 2008

Obligatory shout-out from the other side of the world

Rod Blagojevich. I don't know where to begin. The more we learn about the depths of my governor's malfeasance the more my mind reels. The guy is like the Charles Manson of political corruption. He is awful. He has managed to contaminate the Obama transition, ended the political career of Jesse Jackson, Jr., may end up derailing Rahm Emanual's brief - hell, anticipated - tenure as Chief of Staff, and almost assuredly cost Chicago the 2016 Olympics. Okay, maybe it's a good thing he spoiled Chicago's Olympic bid.

I'm typing this up while sitting in the airport in Seoul, waiting for a flight to Hong Kong. On the way over here I watched The Dark Knight on the plane. The Dark Knight was filmed in Chicago, but takes a detour to visit Hong Kong. Seoul hosted an Olympics, Chicago is trying to. In my sleepy head, all of these things are tied up together in a mysterious web of significance. The Dark Knight is about the societal cost of corruption and bad government (and, as all the critics pointed out, also about terrorism). In the end, it seems to argue, we need public servants who are selfless, who devote their lives to serve us. While everyone was going on and on about how the movie parallels our current faustian bargain in the "war on terror" - the way we have embraced torture and vigilanteism (I mean, what else is Blackwater but a professional vigilante force) - the movie is also about bad government. Forget what I said about Blagojevich being Charles Manson. He's the Joker.

No comments: